PDA

View Full Version : Embarrasing Questions

hypno_nls1
02-18-2008, 01:55 PM
I've had my e36 for a while now, its a 93 320i and there are some questions i've been wondering about it that i couldnt find in the book and have been to embarrased to asked:) answers would be very helpful.

IS THERE A TRUNK RELEASE BUTTON INSIDE THE CAR ANYWHERE?!?!

- The person who had the car prior broke the lever to move the steering wheel up and down, HOW CAN I MAKE MY STEERING WHEEL MOVE UP AND DOWN AGAIN?

- When i am not driving at a steady fast speed and i have the heat on the car begins to overheat, i have to turn the heat off instantly to stop it from continuing to over heat, how can i fix this? [dont drive winter time so it hasnt been that much of a problem, but id still like to fix it]

- Sometimes when the rear of my car hits bumps it feels like the back end slides out, it hits it hard, what part of the suspension needs fixing or should i jsut go to a mechanic and ask him?

Soldo
02-18-2008, 02:19 PM
If the car is unlocked, the trunk should be unlocked as well, just a matter of pressing the button.

As for your rear suspension, it could be a few things, like your Rear Trailing arm bushings, or your rear shock mounts, and since your car is a 93 you might even be having rear subframe issues. I would check those out, because things can get worse (and $$$$) fast!

hypno_nls1
02-18-2008, 02:21 PM
If the car is unlocked, the trunk should be unlocked as well, just a matter of pressing the button.

yea i know that, but i was jsut wodnering if there was a button inside of the car to open the trunk? guess not

hypno_nls1
02-18-2008, 02:22 PM
and thanks for the advice with the suspension, ill ask mechanic to check it out

mirek
02-18-2008, 02:23 PM
You can unlock the car by pull up on the door lock pin on the drivers side door, should unlock all the doors\trunk\gasdoor

JazzM
02-18-2008, 02:28 PM
its a mechanical release.

T.

Big T
02-18-2008, 02:41 PM
The heating issue could be due to a faulty thermostat, it could be stuck closed somehow although they are designed to fail in the open position..but its worth it to check out anyways if it has never been replaced.

Like jazzm said the trunk is a mech. release so unless you install an electronic actuator, the only way you can pop it is by pressing the button on the trunk.

hypno_nls1
02-18-2008, 02:42 PM
thank you. any ideas about the steering wheel lever?

Big T
02-18-2008, 02:52 PM
I haven't seen an e36 with an adjustable steering column before so I can't help you

mirek
02-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Goto dealer, order part # 32311159457 which is the lever, remove the cover to the column and work your way in there to replace it

ScotcH
02-18-2008, 03:01 PM
thank you. any ideas about the steering wheel lever?

You should be able to replace the lever ... see if Fil has one (Eurostyle on this forum).

hadesm5
02-18-2008, 04:29 PM
in terms of the heat, ur thermostat is probably busted, and actually it would be a better idea to keep the heat on and let it dissipate to cool the engine.

Mikeee46coup
02-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Sounds like a bad thermostat for sure, easy cheap fix, i'd do it asap!

Trekz
02-18-2008, 08:04 PM
i got the same heat problem, accept i think i overheat when the heat is off. And it goes normal when i blast the heat.

hypno_nls1
02-18-2008, 08:57 PM
hmmm thank you for all the help everyone ill get back to what mechanic says in spring

kamus
02-19-2008, 02:45 AM
Related question: in my wife's E36 ('93 325ia) the you only get hot air out of the heater when you're pressing the gas. When car is idling, or coasting, it goes back to cold air. Ideas?

Mickey Knox
02-19-2008, 10:50 AM
if you thermostat is stuck in closed, it wont make a difference what your heater setting is as the heatercore is out of the loop. at that point, the waterpump just moves the coolant through the engine, the closed thermostat keeps it from using the radiator /heater core loop entirely. if its stuck in open you should see your car not warming up (if its cold) or only very very slowly.

if you car is simply overheating, turning on the heat full blast is a good way to get the heat out. engine temp should never go up because you have your heater on full blast.

Mickey Knox
02-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Related question: in my wife's E36 ('93 325ia) the you only get hot air out of the heater when you're pressing the gas. When car is idling, or coasting, it goes back to cold air. Ideas?

bleed your cooling system and refil. sounds like air in the system.

Shock(/\)ave
02-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Heheheheh... the technical help confessional thread. Awesome. *th-up*