PDA

View Full Version : Rear Subframe Resto

jm1602
02-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Bored, just finished shoveling the driveway, feels like this winter will never end.

So here are some pictures of the rear subframe from the 1602 taken in the fall. 37 years of oil and grime! I have the subframe and trailing arms mostly painted. Having the diff rebuilt and universal joints serviced, waiting to place an order for bushings, shocks springs etc. Hope to be back on the road come springtime.

Anyway, enjoy pictures of the project.

///Maluco
02-12-2008, 06:07 PM
what paint did you use for the subframe?
I was thinking of using standard black tremclad rust paint...

I refinished my lsd last year to and I'll be working on the front suspension soon...refinish strut housings, any brackets, etc...I'll also be looking forward to that too.

I used low-gloss black engine paint on the diff and it seems to do the job very well.

jm1602
02-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Ground the sucker down to bare metal then hit it with multiple coats of tremclad rust primer then flat black tremclad. The area around the rear drums will get high heat tremclad as well. Marcus is rebuilding the seals on the diff which was leaking everywhere as per the pics.

73 Tii
02-14-2008, 11:54 AM
How about the underbody? This is the perfect team to scrape and reseal it with POR15.

jm1602
02-14-2008, 12:30 PM
How about the underbody? This is the perfect team to scrape and reseal it with POR15.

Would you stop with that already, LOL.

Bandi
03-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Bored, just finished shoveling the driveway, feels like this winter will never end.

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!

I spent about 5 hours in the garage working on my 2002 today... I had to shovel about 4 feet deep of snow just to open my garage door to let some sun so I could pretend I was warm!

Can't wait to drive my car...