PDA

View Full Version : Shocks?!?!

HaBiTaT
02-11-2002, 06:48 PM
Is shocks manditory?my shocks are gone well the front one. i just recently dropped my car w/ springs, and its not that bouncy.so i was wondering if shocks are manditory.

Bliss
02-11-2002, 07:50 PM
It all depends on how low the springs drop your car. If its not that much, it will be fine withought the shocks, but on the other hand, if it's alot then yeah you'll need them, maybe not now, but eventually.

Gamite
02-11-2002, 07:58 PM
I think it would be a good idea to fix them, with out them you could experience damage to your control arms and bars. Even if you get stock boge shocks, thats still better than nothing at all. If you get better shocks like bilstein, you'll notice better handling qualities as well. also, bilstein = lifetime warrenty! *th-up*

Usic
02-12-2002, 12:12 AM
This is a question I get at the shop I work at all the time.

The biggest thing is stock shocks shouldn't be used with sport springs unless the drop is only .8 inches lower.

When you lower a car the valve in your stock shock can hit the housing of your shock if you hit a big bump. This leads to shock failure and in the worst case seized shocks. You'll be like popcorn in the drivers seat and the tire will not follow all the curves in the road.

I know bilsten sport shocks are pricey but they do come with a lifetime guarrantee. I had sachs super sets (sachs came 1,2,3,4 in last years lemans) but when I switched to bilstens the difference was amazing. NO JOKE...I could fling my 6er into corners I never dreamed of, They just make your tires work to its full potential, The ride is so much better than my previous shocks. The ride is smooth, takes bumps with ease and the shock has 4 height settings so if you want to go even lower you can do so.

When you lower your car you have to pay someone labour time (unless you have a spring compressor at home) So while he's (or she) is at the springs might as well get them to change the shocks. Otherwise you have to change the shocks at a later date and get hit up again for labour, which will be the same as the first time with just the springs.

Thats just my 635 cents

Usic
BMW 635 Supercharged