PDA

View Full Version : help me decide

325isStephen
02-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Ok so i have a 1990 325is with 451,000km on it, body, suspension and mostly everything else is in good shape, has a few rust spots, but i will probably paint it in the summer. But my dilemma is should i build a motor or get new rims?

My idea's for motor would be a budget stroker with a full rebuild, just wondering what a ballpark figure would be for this. another problem is i would like to turbo in maybe 1-3 years, depending on money and where i am, because currently im at school. I will be doing all of the work myself, or with the aid of friends/my dad. Is it possible to build a stroker that is turbo capable without putting a turbo on for a while? I mean would i have decent gains over my power now. car currently has a chip, intake and fuel pressure regulator. Has a oil leak, drips about a quart after 2 weeks, annoying but i mean 450k lol

The as for rims, i have a set right now, TSW revo 16" rims, but im not a big fan and the tires are shot, i have a buddy that will buy for 300, so i would probably get sportmax 002's and then decent tires. obviously adding some more money, prob come to around 800-1000 depending on brands etc.

so question is what would you do and why? Or do i do a little of both, depending on what a rebuild costs parts wise i could maybe afford both. any input is greatly appreciated*th-up*

thanks, steve

e30_kid89
02-03-2008, 04:31 PM
:D Do both at the same time. Sportmaxx's arent that expensive and you can gather the smaller less expesnive parts for the motor build at the same time.

craz azn
02-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Hey Steve, I have a set of rims for sale if you are interested... They come with brand new tires too. 17". PM me for more info if you like.

TSW rims are junk. They are synonymus with the words BENT and SOFT. I can't say much for Sportmaxxes however, haven't heard any interesting horror stories, but at the prices they are, I would start to question them a bit. Although, at that price you can't complain.

I would spend the money on paint, and rims. Motor is enough as is to get you into some serious trouble if you use its resources fully. Thats the way I see it, unless you track your car a lot, because with these dumb laws in place now, the second you do something out of the ordinary, and get caught, your screwed...

325isStephen
02-04-2008, 03:23 PM
so after talking to my dad and his thoughts on my thoughts, he suggested buying a e36 325 or 328 parts car for a swap, what do you guys think. also any idea how hard it is, is it drop in and plug and play or much more?

craz azn
02-04-2008, 09:51 PM
You might wanna talk to Devon, as hes got this swap thing down like the back of his hand. Go for a 325 since its OBDI. If you get a 328, make sure you get the whole harness, computer and Keys or else it won't work, OBDII sucks nut. More less a drop in affair, except you need some specific parts like the e34 525i oil pan/pickup, 325iX brake booster, e28 engine mounts IIRC... Research the topic on R3V. Huge info base there about the 24V swaps.

Any thoughts on those rims? :P

325isStephen
02-04-2008, 10:41 PM
alright thanks for the info, maybe i will just do a obd1 325 swap, but i'm still really not sure as per the amount everything is going to cost and exactly what i want. oh well thanks for the help

if anyone has any thoughts on what direction i should go as for making more power, post what you think please :)

thanks, steve

bimmer1989
02-25-2008, 03:42 PM
Try a cold air kit and getting an exhaust system upgrade my buddy did that with his and got a reasonable hp gain and his car sounded like a ferrari if not better and get a pretty good set of summer tires.