PDA

View Full Version : rattles

sean_kim3
01-30-2008, 04:32 PM
hi guys
im looking to get some subs that pounds
looking at 2 L5s something around 800 rms
but i put my friends sub in my trunk
( wit long wires running from his truck trunk to my trunk)
and he has 2 12" infinity perfects
and my car jus..rattled lke a mofo
oh and my car is 96 328i

and i hate rattles
how do i get rid of all the annoying rattles?
is htere a place that puts in deadeners in for u?
and how much wud it cost?
its mainly my inside of my trunk and my B pillars that rattle to the extreme

tominizer
02-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Here's some ideas...... DIY-er stuff that can get you started without dumping a boat-load of money. I'm a big DIY-er guy....... to take as far as possible and when I can't make it happen anymore, then I pay someone to do the rest.

Wires...... wires rattle everywhere. Go through the trunk with a billion zip ties and make sure EVERYTHING is zip-tied down ...... EVERYWHERE. Under the rear deck in the trunk sides...... dig up everything. Wiring can even be found behind the pillar panels in some cars. Some guys go as nutz as EVERY 2 inches there's a zip tie and the wiring is wrapped in something like black hockey tape to cut down on any buzzing. *drink* Dollar store has zip ties cheapo.

Back deck....... remove it and put the box in again to test out what is rattling (after you have zip-tied everything down). If it's good, then check out the deck itself and look for loose bits. This is going to be about securing EVERYTHING down super tight.

Bumper and licence plate........ annoying to some.

Let me know how it goes..........

sean_kim3
02-01-2008, 04:16 PM
yeah where the rear speakers are
the whole board rattles like crraazy
and idunno how to fix that.. like put something heavy ontop? works haha
but im not gunna tie down like a 10 pound weight on it..lo
shud i screw some screwdrivers ? to hold it tight?

hypno_nls1
02-01-2008, 08:54 PM
ya my back deck thing rattles liek crazy to, very interested in what you come up with

tominizer
02-02-2008, 09:52 PM
IF your back deck vibrates like crazy, gets some foam mat and install it between the deck trim and the metal deck. But it has to wedge in there tight.

vadim321go
02-05-2008, 12:32 PM
how do u take out the rear deck?

Trekz
02-05-2008, 02:49 PM
do what i did strap the sub box in the the backseat with seatbelt :P

tominizer
02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Best job I EVER saw was the guy that cut two holes in his roof and mounted the subs ontop of his roof firing into the car............ magnets exposed to the elements. *th-up* Took my vote as the Best Install Eva.

elroy
02-06-2008, 04:48 PM
use a sound deader like dynamat. take out the carpet from the trunk and put it down properly and then the carpet back. should take care of the rattaling.

heres an example of a trunk done with it

http://www.sillbeer.com/images/interior/dynamat-boot-passenger.jpg

tominizer
02-08-2008, 08:02 PM
^not.

sean_kim3
02-18-2008, 08:15 PM
how much do those dynamats cost
how many of those wud i have to buy to do my whole trunk???
probably a lot...rightt?

tominizer
02-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Dynamat alone will NOT get rid of the rattles.......... under most normal circumstances. The application of this sort of material is often misunderstood and people spend way too much dough on it................ to an installer that has no clue. There is no quick *fix* to rattles.

thumper
02-22-2008, 05:01 PM
^^ I agree it will be hard to get rid of all the rattles. To do a whole trunk in dynamat can get very expensive. I never heard of the zip tie technique but I am going to try that our when I install my subs.

A way that I have used before to get rid of the rattle for the licence plate and it will probaly work for the decklid too is too put like a kitchen sponge between the metal and the plate and the metal and the decklid. It will cut down on the rattling but still may not eliminate it all. Just buy packages of cheap sponges from the dollar store *th-up*

tominizer
02-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Zip ties cheapo at the dollar store too.

red_e36
03-02-2008, 01:14 AM
hope this helps...just some things that i did..i took off the carpet with toolbox on the trunklid...and stuffed the insides with old tshirts...so the trunk lid was nice and tight...i also tighted the trunk down with the 2 knobs that control the tightness...i also put a port(3.5") on the back deck(above the rear seats)..so that it could take away some excess air..and the system sounded a lot better actually with the port...and i put rubber behind my license plate....that killed the rattling...the metal plate behind the rear seats create a lot of rattling..so i just cut mine out...no1 really sits in the back seats(seats are back in place)..and put lockwashers on the rear taillights..cuz the vibration makes them loose and they also rattle..i have no dynamat in my trunk and its just fine(with all those mods)....but that worked for me...goodluckkkkkk

Boots R
03-02-2008, 02:11 AM
Dynamat alone will NOT get rid of the rattles.......... under most normal circumstances. The application of this sort of material is often misunderstood and people spend way too much dough on it................ to an installer that has no clue. There is no quick *fix* to rattles.

It will definitely help though. e36 spare wheel wells are thin, and Dynamat (or equivalent) will reduce the rattling.