PDA

View Full Version : Europe Trip

Matthew C Smith
02-11-2002, 03:07 PM
I'm going to be taking a trip to England and Germany in a few months here and was hoping some of the members could help me out with a car rental and other sites NOT to miss.

I've found that you can't take rentals from England in to mainland Europe. Also, there seems to be a limited to the minimum number of days you can rent a car also.

So, does anybody have recommendations as to where to rent from? I'd like to get something with some performance, something that'll cruise along the autobaun and maybe say... the nuburgring without any problems. I think you know what I'm talking about here....

Do I need to get a European Driver's license or something like that?

So what do you guys think? options? opinions?

Help me out here...

Any parts I should pick up?

Gamite
02-11-2002, 03:41 PM
Oh man, lucky you.. could you pick me up some euro elipsoids.. hehe.. ;)

azn330i
02-11-2002, 07:04 PM
hey how about asking djbeemer.......he is in Germany :idea:

Bliss
02-11-2002, 07:16 PM
Well, i 've been to Germany many times but i've never been to England. I don't know how the heck to drive on the left hand side either.:D Anyways, in Germany, all you di is rent a car without having any european licence. I rented the Renault Laguna, and the Opel Vectra. Both very awsome quick cars. Which city in Germany are you flying to? or staying at?

rico328i
02-11-2002, 09:59 PM
I'm going to Europe as well this May. And I'm in the same boat in the sense that I'm gonna be renting a car in Germany. From what I'm told - it's the cheapest place to rent cars.

Randy. Those 2 cars you mentioned. Would they be recommended? I would ideally like something that we can't get here, and for obvious reasons, a car that MOVES!! Top end!

I'll be all over Europe for the entire month of May. Don't worry guys, if you all want, and IF (that's a big IF!!!) I can hook anyone up for 'special' European parts that we can't get here. Maybe we can all work something out. Like a group buy on some E36 Euro version lights - or something!?!?! I can send it back in bulk. Just an idea guys. Maybe DJBEEMER can hook us all up with something?????

Anyhow. Take it from there.

Rico

rico328i
02-11-2002, 10:00 PM
One more thing. I believe it's also cheaper to arrange the rentals here at home. True Randy?? What were the prices like?

Rico

AzN_E46
02-11-2002, 10:07 PM
you mentioned this once some time ago..............or was it you??
did you get my long list of cars taht might want to rent?? and you're planning to go to the Nurburgring in a rental car?? tell us your experience there plz....

rico328i
02-11-2002, 10:14 PM
Yeah. You did send me a list of cars NOS. Thanks. But I didn't say anything about going to the "Ring". I wonder if they'd let you with a rental?? I know that most Sundays, unless there's an event, there is a time-slot for the public. Apparently, from what I've read, some folks over there, make it a sort of family outting. Wish we had that here. That would be a true Sunday drive.

I still have to do some homework on type of car, cost, etc.....

Nothing is planned. We're just gonna pack our backpacks and go. All I know is I don't work in May!

If any of you have thought of ever going away to say Europe. STOP thinking about it and go! I've been across the pond a few times now, and I always come back a different person. HIGHLY recommended!!! Incredible experience each time. Do It!

Rico
328i

AzN_E46
02-11-2002, 10:25 PM
i was talking to Matthew C Smith...........i forgot who i sent that list to, cuz you're both goin to europe. it's all good*th-up*

Bliss
02-12-2002, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by rico328i
I'm going to Europe as well this May. And I'm in the same boat in the sense that I'm gonna be renting a car in Germany. From what I'm told - it's the cheapest place to rent cars.

Randy. Those 2 cars you mentioned. Would they be recommended? I would ideally like something that we can't get here, and for obvious reasons, a car that MOVES!! Top end!

I'll be all over Europe for the entire month of May. Don't worry guys, if you all want, and IF (that's a big IF!!!) I can hook anyone up for 'special' European parts that we can't get here. Maybe we can all work something out. Like a group buy on some E36 Euro version lights - or something!?!?! I can send it back in bulk. Just an idea guys. Maybe DJBEEMER can hook us all up with something?????

Anyhow. Take it from there.

Rico :
ummm, i think you're refering to me(which is not Randy)But yeah i think i would recommend them. I know i had some fun with them, but i'm sure there are others you can get your hands on that are just as good. I was always curious about the Peugeots. Why don't you try one of those?

NickP
02-12-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Bliss
Well, i 've been to Germany many times but i've never been to England. I don't know how the heck to drive on the left hand side either.:D Anyways, in Germany, all you di is rent a car without having any european licence. I rented the Renault Laguna, and the Opel Vectra. Both very awsome quick cars. Which city in Germany are you flying to? or staying at?

Actually the new Saturn is based on the Opel Vectra, the Opel probably has a better suspension :P... I've never driven a Renault, how'd you like it?

I've rented Peugots, Lancias, Alfa Romeos and Ford Mondeos. If you need room go with the Mondeo... my favourite was the Alfa Romeo 156 in terms of driving / performance... In Germany though I'm sure you'll be stuck primarily with Opels and Fords

rico328i
02-14-2002, 01:37 AM
I had a feeling that Ford's were going to be one of the car choices. The good thing about that is, I''m hoping that I'm right with them being 'tuned' with European flavour. The Mondeo is on my list. As are many Peugot's. I think it's the 105 or 205 hatchback?? I remember seeing a whack of them in France. Which is the one they use in WRC? Sweet looking little cars! I'll narrow the list down to about 3-5 cars and I'll ask you all what you think of them.

Thanks,
Rico
Criteria : fun, quick/fast, affordable, did I say fast??? Has to do about 220km/hr. And Handling.

Matthew C Smith
03-01-2002, 11:27 PM
We've got it all booked except for cars that is.....

plant tours
race tracks
lots of fun stuff in london!

Hopefully we'll pick up something that'll lap the ring at a little more than a snails pace :eek: *devil*

i can't wait! :D

Eurostyle
03-02-2002, 01:43 AM
With the gas prices in europe you might want to look
into getting a diesel! The only 2 cars i have rented in
europe were a Jetta and a F#$% up Benz so i cant help
much....:(